Are you looking to hire an HVAC service company to do preventative maintenance? Chances are you’re unsure about what preventative maintenance includes. If you already have an HVAC preventative maintenance contract, you might wonder if you’re getting the same services as some of your neighbors.
That’s where an HVAC preventative maintenance checklist comes in handy.
While preventative maintenance contracts can differ, the most important thing is that you’re getting what you paid for in your contract.
Let’s take a look at an HVAC maintenance checklist. It covers tasks typically included in a contract. You can use this checklist when comparing vendors and prices.
Spring/summer HVAC preventative maintenance checklist
Your HVAC service company performs these HVAC preventative maintenance checklist tasks to prepare your air conditioning system for the cooling season ahead.
- Clean or replace filters
- Clean condenser and evaporator coils
- Clean drain lines and pans for proper drainage flow
- Replace worn pulleys and belts
- Inspect ducts for mold, dust, and debris
- Observe humidity levels
- Check refrigerant charge and for leaks
- Test thermostats and controls to make sure temperatures and timer functions are correctly set
- Change batteries
- Check electrical system and connections
- Check fan motor
- Check blowers and blades for proper airflow
- Lubricate motors bearings and moving parts
- Inspect cabinet for leaks and check cabinet door for secure closure
- Check for debris around outside unit
Fall/winter HVAC preventative maintenance checklist
Your HVAC service company performs these HVAC preventative maintenance checklist tasks to check your heating system and prepare it for the cold weather season.
- Replace filters on heating equipment
- Inspect ignition burner assembly
- Examine heat exchanger or heating elements
- Study flue system and ensure secure attachment to the furnace
- Inspect for gas leaks with gas furnaces
- Assess gas pressure
- Check pulleys and belts
- Clear drain lines and pans
- Check electrical connections
- Lubricate motors, bearings and other moving parts
- Check thermostats and controls
- Check fan and blower operationa and adjust as needed
- Inspect heat pump
- Examine duct work and vents
Use this HVAC preventative maintenance checklist as a guide
Now that you know some of the basics covered under preventative maintenance contracts, you can begin talking to different vendors.
You don’t have to get locked into a one-size-fits-all agreement. Look for a vendor that fits your HVAC preventative needs, equipment and budget.
Contract terms can vary widely. You might limit HVAC annual maintenance checklist items to one system, such as air conditioning. That might be the case if your building has a central heating system that’s maintained by the building owner.
You might choose an HVAC quarterly maintenance checklist. That option works best when you need more frequent service for changing filters and cleaning coils.
Twice-annual preventative maintenance is a popular option. It’s smart to schedule these visits in the spring and fall before the peak air conditioning and heat seasons.
How to decide what maintenance plan is best for you
As consumers, we naturally want the most for our money. We want fast service, top quality work at bargain basement prices.
The trouble is, it’s rare to get all of these at the same time. When you hire a service provider, you have to set priorities.
When fast service is your top priority
If fast service is crucial, look for a small business. Smaller company are more friendly and flexible. At Elite Property Maintenance, we take pride in serving our Customers, to us, you are not just, a order number. That way, you’ll get quick responses for 24hr. emergencies and technical support for any questions you may have.
When cost is key
We all want to pay a fair price. However, beware of low-ball price that are much lower estimates. To cut costs, some vendors also cut corners. They might neglect steps on your HVAC preventative maintenance checklist and use inferior parts that are cheap and easily damaged.
When quality counts
The importance of quality work cannot be understated. Vendors that take pride in their work, such as small business, know that every Customer matters. Repeat service calls are a thing of the past when you receive expert service from an expert company.
HVAC preventative maintenance checklist: What you see is what you get
You probably know why your HVAC system needs regular maintenance. It’s just as important to know how to choose a quality HVAC vendor. When reviewing an HVAC checklist for preventative maintenance, look carefully at both the company and the contract.
Thanks for sharing your time with us.
See you soon.